Thursday, February 25, 2010

Simple Gifts

It's not a good picture, but all the boarders received these bookmarks for Christmas. E made them, and her drawings of the horses captures each of them perfectly. Scout, wind whipping her mane back, wind generated by her speedy, high-tension personality. Seal-brown Sam, still finding his way, chewing fence rails down from time to time. Canadian Molly, years off the track, 22 years old and retired, hard to keep good weight on. Faithful JR, protector of riders, hard mouthed and kind. Tiny Gambler, bombproof Arab, tireless at 20. My doofus, Dar, braying his new-found splendor to the world. The Keely monster, always blustering at us with her pinned ears, which are just a silly facade.

Seven inmates running a charming asylum where I can always recover my sanity, if only for a while.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks so much for your comments on my blog. I always like them :)I look forward to reading your blog too.

Those bookmarks are really very cool and very thoughtful!