Monday, January 3, 2011

Cosequin ASU - Our 90-Day Trial Begins

Because Saxony tends to be mouthy in the bit, fretting over and chewing my gentle French-link snaffle, I decided to have Dr. B come and check out her teeth a few weeks ago. Since another vet had done the pre-purchase exam, this was the first meeting between Saxony and Dr. B, who will be her regular vet. We ended up doing a full physical so Dr. B could assess her and create her file. I learned two important things. 

Turns out my nine-year-old mare still has her wolf teeth, which may have some bearing on the mouthiness. She's never resistant to the bit, but never quiet and comfortable with it either. She had been ridden in a fat, rubberized or plastic-covered loose-ring training snaffle before I got her, and the adjustment away from that to my Eggbutt French Link may simply be hard for her. Because she didn't need to have her teeth floated, we elected to wait until February, when she will be due for a float, to extract the wolf teeth under one sedation.

Before I bought Saxony, friends pointed out what they saw as a hitch in her right hind leg. I couldn't see it. I am not skilled at spotting subtle anomalies in the movement of a horse. I can see profound lameness, limping and some signs  of stiffness, but I couldn't see any of these in Saxony. Riding her, I felt nothing except the stiffness inherent in horses who are not regularly being suppled and flexed. The vet who did the pre-purchase exam noted something in her right rear pastern, but was reluctant to rate it even a 1 on the lameness scale, offering instead a point five, if there were such a thing.

In the few months I've had Saxony, I've done very little cantering with her. We cantered during the two rides I had on her before I bought her, and I still shiver at the delight and easiness I felt to be riding her, the joy of feeling unafraid. I've realized since then, though, that Saxony doesn't pick up the left lead. Because she needs a lot of suppling and gymnastic strength-building work to learn to carry herself through her body, our canter work will have to wait for some time, but I did want to know whether there could be a physical reason for her refusal to pick up the left lead. "Refusal" may not even be the right word; it's as if she doesn't know there is such a thing as a left lead.

I moved her out on the longe line for Dr. B. After big circles in both directions and Saxony offering a perfect demonstration of cantering on the wrong lead, Dr. B put her through a soundness exam. She found arthritis in both her right and left hinds, with emphasis on the right. I admit I wilted for a second, felt a sharp pulse of disappointment gulp up in me. Dr. B said, "You'll never do a third-level dressage test with her."

That's okay with me. For this horse's mind, her heart of gold, I will trade a lot. I'm not a dressage rider, not to say as much, anyhow. I just value the principles of classical dressage, realizing how they help horse and rider come together in work and then journey forward as a team safely, kindly, and in balance.

Dr. B gave me a container of powdered Bute, suggesting pain management might help Saxony find the left lead. I'll wait on that until spring. She strongly recommended putting Saxony on Cosequin ASU, which she uses on her own horse. I'm doing it via Smartpak, and we started the loading dose today. 

As someone who was born emotionally and intellectually resistant to hooey in whatever form, be it religion, fad diets, new-age gurus, age-defying moisturizers, swimming with dolphins or any of the million other ways humans find to kid themselves, I've embarked on the Cosequin experiment with great interest. If it doesn't work, has no impact, I'll say so. If, on the other hand, it helps my stiff mare, I'll say that too, and then see if Smartpak will make up a dose regimen for me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, wolf teeth! You may have read my earlier posts about Cassy's wolf teeth already, but if not, hers were a mess.
If she's having issues with the lead pick up I would definitely get a chirpractor out. They do wonders. We have a few horses out at the barn that have been worked on and I've seen nothing but good results. Good luck!

Carol said...

Sorry to read about the arthritis. I hope the supplement works. My joint supplement helps me, so it can happen :) Your horse is lucky to have such a devoted, caring owner.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I've had really good improvements with joint supplements. And I second the suggestion of a chiropractor. I've had huge results with them. And I don't go for the hooey stuff either.

Modern Knight said...

Hello, good to see you here.

www. Welcomeget.com/ is a newly established Online Saddlery shop, just similar to Doversaddlery.com . We'd like to invite you to join our affiliate programme, since you may know someone in the equestrian circle. We would like to offer you an attractive commission. 10% of sale. Maybe even more.

There are some other ways to join the affiliate programme, beside putting a link in your site. The easiest way is recommending our site to your friends. Once someone buy a product at welcomeget.com, you will get commission at once.

Hopefully we can establish a business relationship. Please contact us if you are interested in our programme.

Our official email: welcomeget@gmail.com

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm not into hooey either and have had luck with joint supplements. I suppose it can depend on the horse and the issue. Sorry to hear your mare has arthritis so young. That really sucks.

Anonymous said...

Could you update us as to how the Cosequin ASU is or is not working for Saxony? Thanks! I am in a similar situation now debating whether to buy it or not for my horse.

Unknown said...

Hello all,

Nice post about Cosequin. Cosequin regular strength by nutramax is made from only the purest and highest-quality compounds available. It is very necessary for the cats, dogs and horses. It is common for the joints to become less flexible which impacts their mobility and quality of life. Thanks a lot........

Cosequin