Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Horses in Their World

Because I have to practice not rushing, I didn't head straight down into the barn for chores tonight. I stood outside first, surrounded by falling lake-effect snow. Just like Scout.


She was very curious about what I was doing, and kept close by, even though I wanted a distance picture.


She presented her muzzle, adorned with ice crystals.


And she took the time to tell Kee-pad to back off.


She has a way of looking at me that often seems to suggest an imperative. The imperative is treats. I broke up a whole two-pound bag of carrots, tossing them across the paddock in pieces, sending the snow ponies off in search of fresh treasure. It took time, and it gave me time.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

How nice, I like this.

Muddy K said...

Thank you, Barbara. What a sweetie!

juliette said...

What an adorable icy muzzle and foretop!

Thank you very much for your comment on my Confidence page. I will read your blog with interest - I hope you find the days with the courage you once had and the sweet smell of horsey breath on the other days that seem more scary.

Katie said...

im·per·a·tive   /ɪmˈpɛrətɪv/ [im-per-uh-tiv]

–adjective
1. absolutely necessary or required; unavoidable: It is imperative that we leave.
2. of the nature of or expressing a command; commanding.
3. Grammar . noting or pertaining to the mood of the verb used in commands, requests, etc., as in Listen! Go! Compare indicative ( def. 2 ) , subjunctive ( def. 1 ) .
–noun
4. a command.
5. something that demands attention or action; an unavoidable obligation or requirement; necessity: It is an imperative that we help defend friendly nations.
6. Grammar .
a. the imperative mood.
b. a verb in this mood.
7. an obligatory statement, principle, or the like.

(inside joke) :) ;)