Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Remember Slam Books?

When I was in junior high school, there was the thing called a Slam Book. Someone would grab a blank notebook, tear out half the pages, and then write a question at the top of each of the remaining pages. The notebook would be passed around and anyone who got it had to write answers to the questions. Kind of like what goes on below.

First, the setup. I had my reasons for starting this blog, one of which appears here, but it was, and is, just a journal to me. The fear I felt of my mare, Scout, was deeply troubling to me, so I wrote about it. It's harder for me to buy into self-serving, evasive personal mythologies when I'm confronted by them in black and white the next morning.

The writer Henry Miller once said, (loosely paraphrased), If you write for an audience, you'll never write the truth. So I didn't, and I haven't. But it did occur to me that there were other horse owners out there who could be struggling with confidence. I thought maybe they could help me. They have.

Four different bloggers in the ether decided to give me an award. I'm not sure what to say about that, so I'll just assume Denali's Mom, On The Bit, Dock Start, and A Process of Learning have found something useful in my journal. If so, I think that's wonderful.

This little award (which I put on my sidebar) comes with caveats, however. I've already taken care of the first, which was to thank and link back to the person(s) who gave me the award. The second is to offer up seven things about myself:
  1. Seven is actually my favorite number.
  2. I will never be able reconcile myself to being called "Ma'am" for the rest of my life.
  3. I value being an adult because no one can make me eat anything I don't want to. 
  4. I knew even as a young girl that I never wanted children.
  5. My idea of hell is to be trapped for all eternity in a public women's bathroom.
  6. People think I'm strong and outgoing. I'm not. I just know that the best defense is a good offense.
  7. I'm still missing my calling.
The third directive was to bestow the same award on 15 newly discovered bloggers. My list is shorter because some I would have passed it on to have already received it.

Two Horses - After reading one post just last week, I went back to the beginning and read all of this well-written and insightful blog. Don't be too jealous of her life, it's hard work.

Sofie Learns Dressage - I've enjoyed following this young writer's journey as she attempts to persuade her cranky $750 former trail horse that she too can learn to love dressage.

My Life With Rescued Horses - Jay's strong love of horses and his belief that all of them have something to offer are enchanting.

Confessions of A Struggling Dressage Rider - She's candid, often funny, and always helpful. I love the role unvarnished truth plays in how she describes her rides. She offered the best advice for achieving a workable sitting trot I've ever heard. I tried it, and she was right. It worked.

Solitaire Mare - The blog is really called A Good Horse, but this is how I think of her. I like her bluntness as she writes her way through some really rough turns and searches for the new horse she will surely find.

Hoofbeats for Heartbeats - This blog used to be called K is For Kiki. I've found much to compare in her story of working with one of those "chestnut mare" types and I admire her for her guts.

Equine Insanity - A recent discovery, I find this a rich blog to mine, really well written. She takes the time to capture her thoughts in depth. I'm willing to read a three-page post, no problem.

I recommend all of these blogs for anyone committed to deepening their relationship with horses -- and with people, for that matter. The fears I face with my horses must always live in me, musn't they? It's just that horses expose and touch them quicker than humans ever can.

6 comments:

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Congrats!

You were on my "short list" to give this award but others beat me to it ;)

Liking your award-ees - thanks for the recommendations!

Anonymous said...

Thank you and congrats! I love the way you wrote this. Now I have to find someone else to honor (maybe) as you were on my list.

Wolfie said...

Congratulations! I can relate to #3 and #4. So nice to know more about you.

smazourek said...

Wow, I relate to every single one of those except the first- 8 is my favorite number. Thanks for the blog recommendations!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the award, I feel honoured

Sue's News said...

Hi,

I just wrote an article about SLAM BOOKS and I came across your blog on google.

Good luck with your blog.

Sue Raypole
sueraypolenews.blogspot.com